SEO? More like S-E-Whoa… wait, did we make that joke already? Sometimes, there’s only one way to think of the beast that is SEO.
Everyone knows how important it is, but not everyone knows how to use it. So, let’s get you closer to harnessing its power!
Today’s Listen is going straight to the source — a true expert in the field, Lydia Gilbertson from Distilled. Lydia has deeeeep knowledge and experience working with clients where organic rankings are mission critical to the bottom line.
This 20-minute podcast answers questions that are often overlooked, revealing big ways to up your SEO game. There’s so much goodness in this that we couldn’t sum it all up…We tried, but it got too late and we had to go home for dinner. (Psych, you can actually read the transcript here.)
- (01:45) What types of problems Lydia helps solve at Distilled.
- (03:34) Searcher intent: What it is and why it’s so important for SEO.
- 3 different kinds of intent: informational (looking to know something), transactional (looking to buy something), or navigational (looking to go to a site).
- (05:55) Tools like Moz or Ahrefs can see what already exists in a page, so you can match the intent of that keyword with whatever page you’re optimizing.
- (08:40) Sitemaps and why they’re so dang important. Don’t forget about ‘em!
- (09:13) Think of sitemaps like signposts that say, “Hey, this is what’s important and this is the structure of this website.”
- (09:30) Screaming Frog (one of our fav tools) can help you build an “ideal” sitemap.
- (14:02) Lydia’s best tips for improving site speed and why it’s so important to SEO.
- (15:10) Site speed also plays a factor in how Facebook chooses which articles to spread more thoroughly in its algorithm. A lot of other platforms are following suit.
- (15:39) Use Google’s free site speed testing tool, PageSpeed Insights, to test your site speed. Ideal speed is under 5 seconds.
- (16:50) How to optimize for site speed.