We probably don’t have to tell you that email is still a really effective marketing channel. According to Campaign Monitor, for every $1 spent, email marketing generates $38 in ROI.
There’s a catch, though. That huge ROI is assuming that you’re doing everything perfectly with email.
Today’s Listen will help you get on the right track to getting that sweet, sweet ROI. It’s with Scott Heimes, CMO of SendGrid, which is an email marketing platform. Basically, Scott knows email.
Here are Scott’s 5 tips for email growth & engagement:
- (11:35) Design is often overlooked in email, but it matters so much. You need to have a really crisp CTA in your email. Pay attention to typography, images, and the colors that support your brand. Oh, and A/B test everything. EVERYTHING.
- (13:43) Content also matters (duh). 3-word subject lines win out over just about any other combination. Pay attention to the preview text. This is the sentence that appears right after the subject line. It really matters, according to Scott.
- (15:19) Contextualization. Using what you know about your subscribers will increase your open rates. SendGrid found that using someone’s name in subject lines increases the open rates by over 40%.
- (18:50) Globalization is really important to understand. If your audience is in other countries, ensure that you’re following cultural norms and other countries’ laws.
- (20:41) Deliverability. This is a really complex topic, but important if you want your emails to land in inboxes. Understand SPF authentication, DKIM digital signatures, DMARC MX records…come again? Also, make sure you’re continually pruning off the worst 1% of subscribers. Inactive subscribers kill your deliverability.