A subject line with a high open-rate is marketing gold. They’re something we obsess over every day. Seriously, we don’t have this shiz on lockdown. When we figure out the secret formula to getting opens, we’ll let y’all know.
Anyway, if you’re like us, you see a spike in open-rate on one email and you immediately analyze what made it so good. But, it’s never reallllly too clear about what caused it.
The good people at Sumo took a stab at figuring out the secret formula by dissecting 87 email subject lines.
Here are some of our favorite formulas:
Content Promotion SLs — For when you’ve got a piece of content you really want your audience to read
- Use the word “New” for a new piece of content
- Here’s Why We [Something Remarkable] (This one resulted in a 46% open-rate for Sumo)
- Lessons [I/We] Learned from [Action You Took] (Resulted in a 57% open-rate)
- [Insert Celebrity] School Of [Topic]
- Avoid These [Number] [Topic] [Pitfalls/Mistakes]
- Normally We [Do Something]. You Get It [New Way]
Sales Email SLs — When you need people to buy something
- The “Last Call” SL – Last call: [Name Of Product] closes in [#] hours
- Use the words “flash sale” in the SL
Cold Email SLs — Let’s face it, sometimes you just have to send a cold email
- I Found You Through [Contact Name] (This one resulted in an 86.6% open-rate for LeadGenius)
- [Name], just wanted to share this [content] with you
You’re probably gonna wanna save these subject lines to your swipe file.