Best in class emails are open-worthy, engaging, and valuable. But they should also be accessible. Here’s how to optimize your email for all readers:
- Write concise, descriptive subject lines and headers without jargon or abbreviations.
- Consider how emojis might be read aloud by a screen reader or virtual assistant.
- Keep a color ratio of at least 4.5:1.
- Don’t communicate by colors alone; underline your URLs.
- Limit flashing GIFs and animations.
- Alt text is a non-negotiable.
- Use semantic elements in your code.
- Set the language attribute within your HTML.
- Keep font size readable and CTAs clickable.
Check out Iterable for more on each action item.