A study by Rival IQ found that the median engagement across all industries on Instagram is 1.60%.
What about Facebook and Twitter, you ask?
0.09% and 0.0048%. Big difference, eh?
When we get into the nitty-gritty of Instagram, we see a lot of missed opportunities. Folks tend to spend so much time on the visuals that they neglect to post a thought-provoking, engaging caption.
Fear not. We have a few tips for you to step up your IG caption game.
- Give more context to the post: Don’t assume that your audience understands the context of your post. Instead, share your thought process. What were you thinking when you took the photo? Where was the photo taken? What do you want your audience to do?
- Use consistent tone: If your brand voice is conversational on your website, and other communications, keep it that way in your captions. It’s all about consistency.
- Keep it short and easy to process: We don’t know about you, but when we scroll through the feed, we scroll quickly. Use line breaks and short sentences to improve readability.
- Be Helpful: From how-to instructions to recipes, the opportunities to post helpful content are endless. Try to think of a few ways to spin your product or service into valuable, non-salesy content.
- Ask questions to drive engagement: It’s fairly easy to get a like on Instagram. A comment is a whole other challenge. One way to remedy that is to ask your audience a question or give them a specific call to action in your post.