…Well, when you’re watching the right show, at least. We got lucky when we stumbled upon today’s Read, which is all about one of our favorite (and def binged) shows, Silicon Valley. Starring a group of IT entrepreneurs who launch a startup, the series highlights realistic character flaws and their successes and failures along the way. Cue: laughs and HBO’s signature crude dialogue. It’s so much more than a comedy, though. These things totally can and do happen IRL.
That’s where “10 Lessons Digital Marketers Can Learn From HBO’s Silicon Valley” comes in. The lessons listed may seem pretty obvious (like, please don’t make enemies, ya’ll), but examined through the lens of a popular series, they remind us that mindless entertainment doesn’t have to be mindless.
- Being flexible is a huge asset.
- Don’t burn bridges or make enemies.
- Don’t overlook legalities
- Be careful of shameless publicity
- Building a brand is a process
- Embrace mistakes (and learn from them)
- Strive for a healthy work/life balance
- Stay focused on your ultimate goal
- Quality is key
- Make the right hires