Working from home sounds fabulous. You get to roll out of bed, no worries about traffic, and the best perk… no pants!
What most people don’t tell you about working from home is the isolation and demand for discipline. If you’re not used to working from home day in and day out, it’s quite the adjustment. Hang in there though because it’s not impossible!
The Carney team is working from home for the next few weeks until things with COVID-19 become less uncertain. Here are our five tips for a productive week.
- First, we get it, no pants sounds awesome. But it’s best to maintain your normal morning routine. This means get a shower, make your coffee, and dress like you’re going to see people. Sticking to your usual work routine will help the transition back when it’s time to do so.
- Make yourself a designated workspace. The goal here is to separate work from home, limit distraction, and set boundaries with household members.
- Do you live on a busy street or next to a noisy dog? Find what works best for you to block out distracting noises. This could mean creating a work playlist, using a tool like Coffitivity, or investing in noise-canceling headphones.
- Set timers to move around. Sitting at your desk and staring at your computer day in and day out will get you on the fast track to crazy train. Doing something as simple as taking time to stretch, walking around the room, or getting some water can actually increase productivity.
- Last but not least, when you accomplished your to-do list for the day put the work away. Take the opportunity to decompress your mind with a hobby, learn something new, or spend more time with family.