We marketers love to Frankenstein words. Today’s term is “edutainment.” And it’s a pretty straightforward mix of education and entertainment.
Brands use edutainment all the time for product use and awareness campaigns. While infomercials may be coming to mind right now, the approach has become a little less direct. You can integrate edutainment into your video content on social media as well as your ads, but that entertainment factor has to ring true.
Why use edutainment?
- It informs your target audience about the problem, solution, and your product.
- It’s great for awareness, but can be used all throughout the customer journey.
- It works! Edutainment marketing increases conversion, trust, and affinity for your product.
Ways to use edutainment in your video content:
- Product Demos: The usual suspect. Obviously the best way to understand some products is to just show everyone how it’s done with a video.
- Micro Ads: Now take your product demos and focus on a small part to inform on or demonstrate.
- UGC Testimonials: TikTok has blown up edutainment with both organic and influencer videos being made to inform about a product.
- Viral Relaters: We mentioned infomercials…They typically start with a relatable problem everyone has, add a little drama to it, and explain a product.
- “Reasons Why” Videos: Similar to the previous relaters – present possible problems or pain points, then educate on the solution.
Check out the full post by VisCap Media for more examples and stats on edutainment.