What was your favorite event so far? Swimming? Track? Soccer? Diving? As the Paralympics are playing out, we wanted to recap some of the big happenings in the marketing world for the Olympic games so far.
Every Olympic season, there is a clear call for inspiration and hope. This year, that was delivered. But there was also an undeniable theme of Togetherness. The pandemic and the games being rescheduled made for messaging of common ground and strength being together.
We placed our favorite ads of the games to watch below. What scores did you give the 2020 Tokyo Olympics?
THE ATHLETE INFLUENCERS
- Simone Biles: the GOAT of brand deals and reminding us that health is wealth.
- Tom Daley: the swimming, knitting diver that won the internet’s hearts and gold.
- Sha’carri Richardson: the sprinter with a spotlight that isn’t going away any time soon.
- Megan Rapinoe: the soccer player, LBTQ icon, and activist.
- Sky Brown: the 13-year old skateboarding bronze winner, author, and master content creator.
It’s no surprise that the traditional viewership of most events just isn’t the same as it used to be. The Tokyo 2020 Olympics were incredibly influenced by TikTok and the Olympics took on people-centric campaigns using athletes for a more direct approach. Digital-led content was seen through a whole new lens of personal stories, coverage right from the sidelines, and a whole bunch of humor.
Check out The Washington Post’s full article to see all the TikTok coverage recapped for the Olympics.