There’s always money in the banana stand. Wait, no that’s not right.
What we mean to say is, there’s always money in your email list. (Tomato, tomato.) Not social media, not Messenger, and certainly not display ads.
To achieve marketing ROI (yes, please), you have to own your audience. Email lists are hands down the way to go. So don’t let Facebook’s ad features hypnotize you because, in the end, Facebook has the control.
Aaron Agius and Sujan Patel have some serious insights into list-building in today’s Listen.
- (01:15) Start with a bang. We’re not talking about just adding an email capture pop-up box to your website. You need something bigger, and more impactful – something you can promote. Think an amazing piece of content, a viral contest, a giveaway…those types of things.
- (03:30) Did you know you can download all the email addresses of your LinkedIn connections? Warning: don’t just add these people to your email list. Send them personal, individual emails telling them what you’re doing, and how to opt-in to your new list.
- (04:40) Or, once you’ve exported your LinkedIn contacts, create a custom Facebook audience with those emails.
- (06:13) Email signatures are a largely untapped resource. Put a frickin’ subscribe link on your signature. How many people do you email each day? You can capture a small percentage of those people – 1% is better than 0%.
- (07:11) The tools that Sujan and Aaron use to build their lists.
- (09:25) Cross-promoting and co-marketing are amazing list-building tactics. Talk to people with big lists and see how you can collab with them.
One final note: whatever you do, make sure you’re creating serious value for anyone who signs up on your list.