TikTok has become one of the top platforms for advertisers. Like every other paid channel, marketers need to be able to track ROI.
Before we dive into tracking, let’s start with the two big marketing categories for TikTok advertising:
- TikTok Ads platform
- Influencer campaigns through TikTok creators
How to track TikTok Ad performance:
TikTok allows marketers to use TikTok pixel tracking or a custom tracking solution. If you’re familiar with Facebook Ads, TikTok uses a similar pixel process. For custom options, there is no universal solution for TikTok, but that may be a better option for your tracking needs.
Benefits of using a TikTok pixel:
- Conversion tracking of sales from TikTok after you place the pixel on your website.
- Customization for events, audiences, and retargeting
- Ongoing optimization all within TikTok’s platform.
How to set up a TikTok tracking solution:
So since pixel tracking is becoming obsolete on many platforms, you may want to use an alternative for more first-party data preparation. Here’s the gist of setting one up:
- Create a TikTok pixel as a data source.
- Connect your software via API with TikTok and connect that data source.
- Create a campaign within your tracking software.
- Launch a new campaign on TikTok with the advertising objective “Conversions.”
How to track a TikTok Influencer campaign:
For these, you have a choice between tracking links or promo codes associated with the creators you are working with. The big takeaway for any influencer campaign is to make things easy to read with memorable promo codes and UTMs using link shorteners.
Check out the full article by the Hero Blog for more TikTok tracking tips!