Sarah Rhea Werner is the host of the Write Now podcast, a weekly podcast for aspiring writers. (Shout out to all you beautiful writers out there!) She’s also a columnist for Forbes on the topic of podcasting, so you knooow she’s a real master on the matter.
Sarah sat down with the host of CoSchedule’s Actionable Marketing to talk all things podcasting.
If you’ve ever considered starting a podcast, you should def start by listening to this one first.
- (01:45) How and why Sarah got into podcasting.
- (04:30) The types of opportunities Sarah has had since starting a podcast that blogging wasn’t bringing her.
- (04:40) Why public speaking opportunities are a huge benefit.
- (05:00) How podcasting can be a great in with influencers.
- (05:40) Why you should join a lot of communities. Sarah joined the FB group, She Podcasts in 2014, which was started because there wasn’t a big female voice in podcasting.
- (06:23) Where and how she met an editor at Forbes.
- (08:00) Audience-building advice for marketing teams and companies. Rule #1: Don’t just jump on the fad train.
- (10:45) Why it’s super crucial to create your podcast based on what your listeners like.
- (12:40) Tips on striking a balance between providing value and marketing yourself through your podcast.
- (14:12) Why it’s important to make sure any selling that you do on your podcast is delightful, interesting, and fun.
- (16:40) “The delightful brand experience” and Old Spice commercials.
- (19:40) How a podcast is both similar to and different from different marketing avenues.
- (21:00) Some of the tactical challenges and practices of podcasting.
- (22:25) Tactical ways to make podcasting work as a social media strategy.
- (23:45) Why you should never assume who your audience is. Use Facebook as a way to understand who your audience is—who are you really serving?
- (27:00) Value of creating a forum where people are sharing ideas and how FB groups can be “self-feeding.”
- (30:20) How you can measure ROI on your podcast.
- (33:35) Sarah’s best final advice for a brand who is toying with the idea of a podcast.
Yeah… There are so many amazing highlights and insights in here. We suggest fully tuning in to this one →