The Instagram Engagement Report by Mention and Hubspot is back for a fourth year in a row – and this time it’s bigger than ever!
100 million Instagram posts across 1 million users make 1 free report that gives key insights for marketers and their social strategy. This year’s report shows changes across the most engaging post types, top geotagged locations, and hashtag use compared to last year.
Here are a few of the key takeaways from the report that social media marketers need to know:
- Carousel posts overtook both single image and video posts as the most engaging type of post this year, with 62 likes and 5 comments as the norm
- The average engagement rate of any kind of post overall decreased by 0.84% in 2021 to 1.42%
- The majority of users (53.6%) have less than 1,000 followers increasing 1.25% since 2020
- The best caption length overall for most engagement is in the 1,000-2,000 character range, meaning that championing story-telling can help drive more engagement and display authenticity on posts.
- The most influential brands on Instagram are Lamborghini, Netflix Brasil, Anastasia Beverly Hills, and Givenchy Official, from the Top 50 profile list
- The gender ratio of the most influential personalities on Instagram is 40% female and 60% male, from the Top 50 profile list
- Beauty and cosmetic industry related accounts received the most engagement
- Smaller Instagram accounts are seeing steady growth and finding new ways to reach audiences, as the majority of accounts have less than 1,000 followers (53.6%), a slight decrease compared to 2020 results (52.35%)
- Beverly Hills, California comes in first in the Top 50 cities for engagement globally
To get more insights like these to update and optimize your Instagram strategy, download the full report.