Okay, fine. That’s not actually how Copyblogger’s Sonia Simone puts it. But this podcast’s all about the pitfalls that can keep even the most talented people from doing great work, getting more opportunities, and earning the recognition (and the living) they deserve.
Why? They’re too apprehensive about marketing themselves—or they’re apprehensive about marketing in general. (See also: scared, nervous, chicken, etc.)
Today’s Listen explores this fear of selling and marketing, using writers as an example, but it applies to other creatives, as well. Sonia wraps up this podcast by sharing three ways to ball out in your writing. Spoiler alert: it all starts with mastering the strategic element of marketing.
This one starts around the 2 minute mark… Get set, go!
- (03:00) What makes some people so nervous about marketing
- (03:20) Why Sonia says marketing and, in particular, content marketing is “how the good guys win”
- (03:50) What makes content “good karma” marketing?
- (04:25) If you put something good into the world, you’ll attract good people to your company!
- (04:45) The fear of “unethical marketing”
- (05:00) Why you aren’t likely to “accidentally” create manipulative or unethical marketing
- (05:30) The line between manipulation and framing a product in a good light
- (06:55) How getting really good at marketing can help you make more ethical decisions
- (07:30) The 3 things that make you an in-demand professional writer
- (14:00) How Copyblogger can help you take your writing to the next level with their Certified Content Marketer program—an in-depth strategy course designed for writers who want to learn more about the marketing strategy. Get those conversions, fam!