Content marketing — the creating and sharing of relevant and entertaining text-based, video, and audio content to attract and retain a defined audience — is an indispensable part of any digital marketing and SEO strategy for businesses big and small. By now, everyone knows it. But we love data around here. So what’s the math behind the strategy? Here are some top stats to consider:
- Everyone’s doing it. 73% of B2B marketers and 70% of B2C marketers use content marketing as part of their overall marketing strategy.
- Shooting from the hip? Just 40% of B2B marketers have a documented content marketing strategy; 33% have an undocumented strategy, and 27% have no strategy at all.
- It’s hard to keep up. Half of all marketers say they outsource some content marketing.
- Take your time. 83% of marketers believe it’s more effective to create higher quality content less often.
- Word count counts. Short content (300–900 words) attracts 21% less traffic and 75% fewer backlinks than articles of average length (900–1200 words).
- Distill your message. Buyers are willing to spend 5 minutes or less consuming most content formats.
- More for less. Content marketing generates 3x as many leads as traditional outbound marketing but costs 62% less.
- What’s your budget? 22% of B2B marketers said they spent 50% or more of their total marketing dollars on content marketing.
So, how do you stack up? When you build a documented strategy, produce high-quality content, distribute it on the right channels, and provide consistent value to your customers, you can triple your returns.
Check out 22 more content marketing statitics at Search Engine Journal.