Be in the Know
Everything You Need to Know About UTMs
Urchin Tracking Module – sounds fun, right?
Don’t worry, we’ll make it fun-ish and most importantly, educational.
Urchin Tracking Modules, more commonly referred to as UTMs are a must have in tracking your marketing initiatives.
Because UTMs tell Google where traffic is coming from and what campaigns directed users to your site.
Let’s get into the nitty gritty.
The meat of UTM tags contain 5 elements for tracking. The first 2 are required.
- Campaigns: This identifies which campaign the link rolls into. (ie: promotion or webinar)
- Medium: This tells you where traffic is coming from (ie: email or social)
- Source: A more detailed look into where your traffic is coming from.
- Content: this one is a variable to let you identify more about which specific link was clicked on.
- Term: Rarely used. Primarily for PPC campaigns.
So, how the heck do you build a UTM?
First, recognize that there are quite a few ways to do it. Here’s how the folks at Flywheel do it.
- Start with strategy: Just like everything else, it all starts with a solid strategy. Frame your strategy around these questions: Where’s the traffic coming from? How’s it coming to me? Why is it coming?
- Define your parameters: Your parameters are the backbone of your UTM tags. Head over to this page and see how Flywheel sets up theirs.
- Find a UTM tool: Check out today’s 🔥 tool recommendation. 👇
- Reporting: It’s all about that data. Head over to Google Analytics and click Acquisition > All Traffic > Source/Medium. Alternatively, dive in deeper by clicking Acquisition > Campaigns > All Campaigns.
That was a lot to unpack. Make sure you click that read more button to dive in deeper and definitely check out the tool recommendation.
Your UTM Builder
This tool has a futuristic ring to it.
The UTM Tagger 9000.
If you’re looking for a free and easy to use UTM tool, this is it. Smash that button below to get access to a pre-populated spreadsheet with placeholder campaign names, mediums, and sources. All you have to do is drop your information in.
It’s basically a custom version of Google’s tool, just in a Google Sheet instead of a website.
We give it 2 thumbs up! 👍👍
Everything is Figureoutable by Marie Forleo
Do y’all remember Henry the Hedgehog? Ya know, that cutie patootie just trying to make friends with the other woodland school kids.
Well, the creators behind the success of Henry, Austrian financial services company Erste Group, is spreading all the love this season once again with Hanna the bumblebee.
Hanna is young bee with the dream of flight, and with the support of her friend, Max, anything is possible.
Check it out; it truly is the bee’s knees.
Ads from the PastAds from the Past
1956, Dupont Cellophane ad
“No matter what, the very first piece of social media real estate I’d start with is a blog”