Be in the Know
- Meta is rolling out The Variance Reduction System (VRS), a machine-learning solution to regulate algorithmic bias. VRS was developed with the Department of Justice in response to alleged discriminatory practices related to housing ads.
- Addressable ads produce greater brain activation related to emotion, memory, reward, and attention, according to neuroscientific research.
- Agencies are increasingly looking to hire flexible generalists and “creative strategists” over masters and specialists.
- Google suggests product review pages linking to multiple sellers could get a ranking boost.
Best Practices for Instagram: 2023 Edition
Optimizing for Instagram’s algorithm du jour is a moving target. But recently, Head of Instagram Adam Mosseri shared some new insights from behind the curtain. Instagram’s Algorithm uses these key signals to determine a post’s relevance to a user:
- Post info: How many people like the post, video length, location, etc.
- Account info: This helps classify whether this account would be of interest to a user. Instagram looks into historical data like how many of this account’s posts the user has already liked.
- User activity: This helps to understand what interests the users and what posts they tend to like in general.
- User engagement history: Identifies how interested a user is in seeing posts from a particular person or account.
With that in mind, here are some best practices for creating an algorithm-friendly content strategy:
- Embrace Reels. Instagram is focusing major energy on growing Reels to outpace TikTok. Invest some time and care into your Insta video content—in conjunction with other types of content—to increase discovery on the app.
- Quality > quantity. Mosseri suggests 2 Feed posts per week, 2 Stories per day, and hashtag use. The name of the game is to keep people (not bots) in the app with relevant, engaging, authentic, and likeable content. Prioritize high-quality content that checks these boxes, and you won’t have to worry about other tricks and hacks.
- Schedule smart. It’s still important to keep a pulse on when your audience is scrolling the app, so you can optimize your content schedule. Most scheduling tools can help you get a good read on this data. How your post performs in its first thirty minutes will determine how the algo treats you!
- Don’t buy. Resist the temptation to flood your account with purchased followers. You’ll water down engagement, and Instagram will detect those bot-generated comments.
As ever, testing out a variety platform features with entertaining, informative content and intentional engagement is your best bet. For more tips, check out Planoly’s deep dive into the IG algo.
Q for You
Preview is Instagram’s officially approved content calendar app with 100k+ five-star reviews. Preview lets you plan and schedule your posts, reels, and stories and see your content exactly how it will appear on your grid or in your story flow. Choose from optimized hashtags, caption ideas, and presets. Plus, cruise through analytics right from Preview. You can manage multiple accounts and collab with an unlimited number of team members, too.
The Daily Carnage is handcrafted by marketing artists with only the finest ingredients.
Our community of 30k+ professionals have a daily appetite for fresh tools and tactics.
Serve up your content with a sponsorship.
Mercedes-Benz has partnered with Superplastic, an emerging entertainment / Web3 brand that creates popular animated characters (or “synthetic celebrities”) and associated collectibles. This digital campaign features Superdackel, a new character inspired by those nodding-dog dashboard ornaments, and a cast of existing Superplastic mascots as they whip around NYC in a Benz—driving the 97-year-old brand straight into the future.
Ads from the PastAds from the Past