Be in the Know
- After experiencing a large data breach in August, T-Mobile had another smaller cyberattack to expose customer information
- The Fiverr mobile app is adding an “Inspire” experience, a new visual discovery feature
- We knew it was coming eventually: “Meta-Builders” are selling services in the metaverse
- The new Xbox Series X is becoming hard to find in Microsoft’s Xbox bundle sales tactic
What is Keyword Cannibalization?
Multiple pages on your website ranking for the same keyword might not always be your best SEO strategy. When you have multiple pages ranking for the same keyword, you force your pages to compete with each other.
This is called “keyword cannibalization.”
This is often the case for very general terms that are the content stars on every page of your site. While you do want to maintain the use of broad terms, you also need to use longer-tail keywords to hone in specific pages.
How do you know you have keyword cannibalization?
Simply create a keyword matrix by listing all of your site’s important URLs, their meta info, and their keywords. Look for how many duplicate entries there are.
How do you fix keyword cannibalization?
- Consolidate that Content: If you have pages focusing on the same broad keywords, they could likely be combined.
- Restructure Your Website: A simple solution could just be a little organization. Often you can take your most authoritative page and turn it into a landing page.
- Create New Landing Pages: Or you might need to make a unique landing page to serve as your authoritative source page that links to all of your variations from there. That way you target broad keyword terms with your consolidated pages, but long-tail keywords on your variations.
- Find New Keywords: If your page structure is already solid, revisit your keyword strategy!
- Use 301 Redirects: Don’t go heavy-handed with this one, but using 301s might help you consolidate content by linking less relevant pages to a more authoritative one.
See the full list of examples and details on keyword cannibalization at the Search Engine Journal’s post.
Q for You
KWFinder by Mangools
This nifty research tool helps you discover long tail keywords with low SEO difficulty. Or, to use everyone’s favorite cliche phrase, it helps you find the low-hanging fruit of your SEO. They have all the essentials of a keyword tool where they also show you what competitors rank for and intuitive dashboards. Some of KWFinder’s standout features is their Google Suggest integration and browser extension. Try it out for yourself for free!
Sponsor The Daily Carnage
Ready for the spotlight? The Daily Carnage offers several sponsorship options for brands.
We love to share helpful tools, insightful content, and cool brands with our audience of professional marketers. Do you have something worth sharing?
Shoot us a message, we’ll give you a shout!
Share the Health ❤️
What’s a good way to market blood donation? Make it a community! Korea Red Cross released this ad to encourage blood donation as a means of spreading health wealth. They chose to give it K-Pop-group vibes and if we know anything about K-Pop, it’s that they are a die-hard community of fans.
They turn blood donors into a nation of health influencers and ask “Who wants to be the next Bloodonor?”
Ads from the PastAds from the Past
1946, Jantzen Sweaters
“The best way to persuade people is with your ears – by listening to them.”