Be in the Know
- REMINDER: Google will no longer support the old Google Search Console panel after August 1, 2022
- Chobani has entered the metaverse with an oatmilk race competition
- See why and how Gen Z relates to brands [Infographic]
- Which “marketing fetish” are you guilty of? (We don’t shame here.)
6 Ways to Stop Bot Traffic on Your Website
Nobody likes bots. They mess with your performance metrics and in some cases can be harmful. So how do you stop them?
Here are some ways to keep your site protected:
- CAPTCHA Method: There are a lot of CAPTCHA options out there as a good first wall against bot users continuing on your site or forms. However, because bots are always finding ways around them, it is not advised to used CAPTCHAs alone.
- Using Hidden Fields: Use a hidden/dummy field as a trap to bots automatically filling out every field. A real user wouldn’t be able to see it with a little CSS hiding. Be wary of using this on high-ranking pages because search engines do not appreciate hidden fields.
- Log Files: Log files can help you in identifying and partially stopping the bots. You can block certain IP addresses (be careful when excluding public addresses) to filter out this bot activity.
- Honeypots: Honeypots are incentives used as a trap to reveal new bots. These should be managed very carefully because search engine bots (a.k.a. the good kind of bots) may think you have dead, fake links on your page.
- In-house Bot Prevention: In-house bot prevention is great for consistent monitoring and blocking. Just be aware that the accuracy and consistency vary drastically as it is still a manual, error-prone process.
- Automated Bot Prevention Solutions: Anti-bot solutions create algorithms to detect the pattern of the malicious bots and differentiate them from humans. Almost like fighting bots with smarter bots.
Radware helps businesses keep bot traffic at bay and specializes in cloud protection. So they know their stuff! Check out their full post to learn more about bot traffic prevention.
Q for You
What is your primary brand font? Proxima Nova? Helvetica? Spice it up with unique, one-of-a-kind fonts. FontStruct is a free online tool for designing your own! All you have to do is play with geometric shapes, pens, and erasers until you have the letters designed how you’d like. When you’re done, FontStruct then generates TrueType fonts, ready to use.
There’s also a gallery of fonts made by the FontStruct community. You can choose from modern serifs and cool calligraphy options, but our favorite is KD Sushilka:
Your newsletter can only reach so many people based on your own efforts. Where do you find more readers in all the nooks and crannies of the world? Through their friends.
Scalemail is our solution to growing The Daily Carnage through our subscribers. See that box at the bottom of your email? We created a simple referral tool that has given us the boost we need to reach more of you by giving you a link (and prizes) to share with friends.
If you could use a referral tool for your own newsletter, then hit us up!
Stay Cool ❄️
Hans, the Hanes guru of comfort, is here to give you the secret to staying cool. It’s all about the cool new fabric of these Hanes briefs. Yep. It’s an ad for undies. But it’s just in time for this hot weather.
Ads from the PastAds from the Past
1970, Colt 45