Be in the Know
- Dove released a campaign about race-based hair discrimination to raise awareness about the CROWN Act
- Little Debbie’s snack cakes are now ice cream flavors
- Michelin is using The Sims FreePlay mobile app as a virtual billboard channel to promote teen driver safety
- Pinterest is adding an AR “Try On for Home Decor” feature to add to AR shopping experiences
How to Develop Brand Architecture
Brand architecture is your structure to your offerings and brand identity(ies). But not all foundations are the same. HubSpot has mapped out the different types and how to develop one of your own.
Types of Brand Architecture Models
- Branded House: This combines several house brands under a single umbrella brand (think Virigin with Virgin Mobile, Virgin Galactic, etc.).
- House of Brands: This architecture focuses on the sub-brands, allowing the parent brand to remain free of the same positioning as these often very different brands (think Unilever and their many brands).
- Hybrid Brand: This model combines the house of brands and branded house models where the parent brand can be positioned with sub brands (Alphabet uses this model very clearly with Google products).
- Endorsed Brand: This model has a master brand with sub-brands that rely on an association (usually product-based like Rice Krispies to Kellogg’s).
How to Develop Brand Architecture
- Research – Sometimes you don’t choose a model, a model chooses you. Understand your own business very well through competitor and performance data to organize it in a way that makes sense for your customers and industry. This is a good time to review your company’s mission, vision, and values as well.
- Strategy – Test out each architecture to see how your brand would work in each. For instance, not all brands can be grouped under the parent brand if customers won’t understand a connection. Outline the connections between the master brands, sub-brands, and products or services.
- Application – When sharing it with your team and stakeholders, make sure to include a clear structure that highlights the relationships between the master brand, sub-brands, and offerings.
- Look Ahead – As your company grows, your brand architecture must adapt appropriately. Review it when big changes happen!
Check out the full HubSpot post for real brand examples and details on each step towards your own brand architecture.
Q for You
Ever been sharing your screen during a live video call just to accidentally share your embarassing tab about your kid’s rash? Or unfinished work you weren’t ready to share? Or your passwords to your whole life? Yikes. We’ve all been there.
Luckily, you can avoid future over-shares with Blurweb app. Blur any web elements with single click for live screen sharing! Headings, paragraphs, images, or videos. It’s amazing for prototyping live, or screen recording for later.
Advertise With Us
The Daily Carnage is a daily, curated newsletter with news links, tools, and tactics in the crazy world of marketing.
It’s the perfect place to advertise helpful tips, products, podcasts, jobs, conferences, and products designed for peeps in the marketing industry.
Does that sound like the content you have? Then you have the content we want to share.
Reach out to learn more about our sponsorships!
Eye of the Tiger 🐯
What’s the eye of the tiger?
What’s the thrill of the fight?
Turns out it’s just a bottle of Coca-Cola. Get mesmerized by this animated Coca-Cola ad celebrating the Chinese New Year Year of the Tiger. It’s a beautiful little Tiger family having some friendly competition over a Coke.
Since we mentioned it, here’s your daily motivational music. Go kill ’em, Tiger.
Ads from the PastAds from the Past
1951, Tiger Beer
“Whatever good things we build end up building us.”