Be in the Know
- Watch the new Old Spice ad set in The Witcher universe as the new season is now on Netflix
- Coming soon: “TikTok Kitchen” will be a chain of delivery-only restaurants from TikTok in partnership with Grubhub and Virtual Dining Experiences
- White Castle made a “Sliderverse” NFT collection with Doodle Labs to commemorate their 100th anniversary and support their front-line employees
- Naomi Osaka’s beauty brand, Kinlò, released an anthem about oversight in the beauty industry for melanin-rich skin
Crash Course on UTM Parameters + 5 UTM Tracking Tools
UTM parameters are super helpful for tracking your marketing initiatives. While many marketers use them often, they might not be using them effectively. Time to strap in for the UTM crash course.
What are UTM parameters again?
UTM parameters are a set of five parameters that you can append to a URL that contain information about your marketing campaign. The five parameters are:
- utm_campaign: The name of the marketing effort (e.g. launch, sale, etc.)
- utm_source: Identify the source of the traffic (e.g. Twitter, Facebook, Google, etc.)
- utm_medium: Identify the medium used by a visitor to come to your site (e.g. email, social, cpc., etc.)
- utm_content: Identify content or call to action (e.g. buy now, learn more, etc.)
- utm_term: Used for paid search keywords.
To UTM or NOT to UTM?
Yes, totally use UTMs for: paid campaigns, social media marketing, email, print campaigns. Why? These types of sources are what need tracking since you can see the direct performance of your paid channels that have a single starting point.
No, you don’t need to use UTMs for: internal links, organic search, and natural refferers. Why? UTM parameters override a lot of that tracking information built into search engines or your own website’s analytics tracking sources and journeys.
How to manage your UTMs:
Wherever you are using to build your UTMs usually offers data tracking, but you can also do this manually in GA or spreadsheets. However, here are some other tracking tools to keep your UTM’s in one place:
Terminus has a 5 chapter course for beginners and experts all about UTMs. Check out the full course for all of the details in between like the different types of UTMs between social media and email.
Q for You
Hypercontext is an agenda tool for one-on-ones and team meetings that streamlines them into one workflow. It provides a central place for teams to collaborate on shared agendas, take notes, assign next steps and share feedback. It has integrations with all of your essentials already like Slack, your calendars, Outlook, a Chrome extension, and had both iOS and Android apps. See if it works for you and your team!
Chevy Made Us Cry
Chevrolet released a short film called “Holiday Ride.” And let us just warn you, you might wanna grab some tissues. The story follows a widower father missing his wife and his ritual of sitting in her dormant 1966 Chevy Impala. His daughter decides to plan a holiday surprise for him by getting it back into mint condition so they can take a drive. It’s as heartfelt as it gets!
Ads from the PastAds from the Past
1961, Oscar Mayer
“Social media is the one area of business where you don’t have to outspend your competitors in order to beat them.”