Be in the Know
- Have you heard of the millennial pause?
- Times are tough for agencies. Here’s how some are keeping their staff from burnout
- Cox Media buys Axios and pledges to expand local journalism
- Everyone loves “Bluey”
How to Convince an Old-Fashioned Team to Embrace Modern Marketing
How can you persuade hesitant stakeholders to embrace modern marketing, such as TikTok or influencer marketing? Well, as a marketer, you know how to research an audience and understand how to speak their language. That’s the same approach you need to take here. Every situation is unique, but here are some principles to help:
- Observe, ask Qs, and listen. The credibility of your advice suffers in the absence of empathetic listening. Get to the bottom of the objectives already at play, and the perceived risks of new methods.
- Help them understand media consumption. Someone with an old-fashioned approach to marketing often has an old-fashioned approach to media consumption. Since many wrongly assume that everyone consumes media the way that they do, you have to demonstrate different consumer behaviors.
- Reason by analogy. Analogies are the bridge between what a person already knows and what they need to know. To give you a shared point of reference to start from, educate yourself about their current methods and marketing vocabulary.
- Be prepared to provide proof. What’s new seems risky until proven otherwise. Gather hard data regarding the media consumption of their target audience, surveys from their own audience, visuals like slide decks, or anecdotal customer success stories.
- Build confidence in the team and process. Effective leaders know they don’t need to understand every nuance of a new platform if they know a team implementing it can get results. Build trust by demonstrating expertise from team members.
- Help them learn from past success. Help stakeholders connect the dots from the success that came from adapting in the past to the success that can result from adapting in the present. The pandemic especially has been a lesson in the need to adapt.
- Connect them with helpful resources. The internet is an endless resource of video, audio, and written content. Point them in the direction of accurate information that will demystify modern marketing methods.
Check out the full post from Carney’s blog to equip yourself with all of the right questions and approaches. Need help to back up your efforts? Hit up the Carney team to discuss your upcoming projects and goals.
Q for You
Sesimi is a digital asset platform that can help brands create, manage, and share branded content. On top of having your best creative and brand elements in one place, Sesimi has Creative Automation to turn one design into a scaled campaign. It’s perfect for marketing teams and creatives looking to streamline their digital assets while having tools to do more than resize and search for them. Check it out to start organizing and creating more on-hand ads.
We'll Back You Up
Need help convincing your boss to let you take on a new social media project or digital ads?
Let us take the wheel.
The Carney team can help you with an SEO audit, website heatmapping, digital strategies and more to help provide the data you need to get your next campaign under way.
Just toss us the keys!
Employee of the Year 80 A.D.
The History Channel has a series all about the Colosseum. To promote it, they ditched the dramatic trailer approach, while still including some of the show’s dramatization scenes. The ads feature interviews with Gais Falco, the fictional, Jersey-accented groundskeeper. The bad wig and history puns make it.
Ads from the PastAds from the Past