The Story of Stories - Carney
The Daily Carnage

The Story of Stories

Instagram Stories, ya dig?

Gooood morning to 98% of you! To the other 2% — good afternoon and good evening!

Here’s what you gotta know about today’s Daily Carnage:

  1. Our pals at CoSchedule wrote a post about why you need to set marketing objectives. (You truly do).
  2. Buffer dropped a heck of a research report about Instagram Stories. You’ll wanna read this one.
  3. SodaStream is getting a little hypocritical in their new ad campaign, but we’re kinda okay with it.

Anyway, stop reading this intro and get to the actual content 👇

How to Set Clear Marketing Objectives In Six Simple Steps

Marketing objectives are like GPS; sometimes you need them more than you think you do. Without them, you’ll be going in circles all day. 🔁

If you manage a team, marketing objectives help your members do their job efficiently and reach their #goals. They also help to show you what’s working and what isn’t.

But, uh, where do you start when making them? For starters, here are some examples from CoSchedule:

  • Break into new markets
  • Increase efficiency
  • Retain existing customers
  • Diversify lead sources
  • Increase customer experience

*Insert time for brainstorming objectives here*

Now that you’ve had some time to think of possible objectives, here are some tips for setting them up.

Go Back To Your Roots
Sit down and remind yourself of your mission statement. Then, get together with your team and remind them of it also. Your mission statement is what forms your whole marketing strategy; every objective and goal should somehow fulfill your mission.

Focus On Your Priorities
Do you have an overarching objective? If not, ya need to find one. This will be the objective that needs to be achieved by a certain timeframe. This is also the objective that your goals will follow, so it should be broad.

In other words:

Goal 1 + Goal 2 + Goal 3 = Overarching Objective

Get SMART Marketing Goals
SMART = Specific, Measurable, Attainable, Relevant, & Timely goals. Think of your goals like bricks: each one plays a different role in building up to your overarching objective.

There are still more steps you need to take for perfecting marketing objectives! In other words, keep reading…

Buffer Analyzed 15,000 Instagram Stories from 200 of the World’s Top Brands

Let’s start your day off with a story. 📚

The story of Instagram Stories, that is. With 400 million people around the globe using Insta Stories (and that number changing by the minute), it’s a no brainer for businesses to be doing the same.

If you’re struggling with where to start, Buffer and Delmondo did us a favor by uncovering how the pros of Instagram Stories work their magic. So, hop off the struggle bus and let them show you the ropes. 🚎

Don’t Go Overboard
Never let yourself sink into too many Instagram Stories. According to the research, the optimal length for posting is one to seven stories.

Your completion rate (aka the number of times each frame is watched from start to finish) is important here; when posting more than seven stories, your completion rate drops below 70%.

But! Keep in mind that these are merely guidelines; you may find success in posting more than seven Stories at a time.

Timing Is Everything
How often do you wonder, “When is the best time to post?” and then stress about it for days? (#relatable) The data shows that the best time to post Stories is during non-working (U.S.) hours.


  • 4am – 6am Eastern Time
  • 8am – 10am Eastern Time
  • 12pm – 2pm Eastern Time
  • 8pm – 10pm Eastern Time

If you think about it, these hours are also when people are commuting to and from work or taking a lunch break. Experiment with these different timeframes to see if there’s one that works best for you. 🔬

We gotta go, but the story continues below ↓↓↓

“Writing something doesn’t mean you’ve communicated it.”

Jeremy Bullmore

Ads from the Past

Tide sticks might be all the rage now. But back in 1974, it was all about Shout.

With a few modifications, we could actually see this ad working in 2018. Clear, straightforward copy is timeless.


Get the best dang marketing newsletter in your inbox on the daily. Subscribe »

Related Posts