Be in the Know
- ICYMI: Facebook’s new name is Meta and here’s a breakdown of their new logo
- McDonald’s is partnering up with IBM for their AI-powered ordering systems, but what does this mean for broken ice cream machines?
- Years ago, Starburst released a “Berries and Cream” ad that is a TikTok trend today and DDB is bringing back the Little Lad with their own TikTok
- What was your favorite Halloween-inspired ad this year? Wendy’s released a series of mini horror ads all about soggy fries, and we love it
Tips from a Pro Copywriter
The Digital Marketing Institute had copywriting expert Kate Toon on their “Ahead of the Game” podcast to discuss everything on good copy. We broke down the takeaways from the discussion so you can start cranking out your best copy and content (and yes, they discuss the difference between the two).
- 1:45 Copywriting’s Place in the Marketing Funnel: So at its core, copywriting is about persuasion, and persuasion involves relationship building. Copywriting really is at every stage that involves trust and CTA’s (and “micro-copy”), but it’s definitely essential to customer consideration.
- 10:00 That Tricky Tone of Voice: Think of what you stand for, and what you don’t. Now take that and think about how you want those values to be talked about, and literally write it down. Then break it down into smaller pieces. The big thing to know is that Tone of Voice documents are living, breathing, and not set in stone.
- 35:30 Tips for Hiring Copywriters: For the business owners and agencies out there needing writers, this is for you. Be clear in briefs on deliverables, but more importantly the “why” behind those deliverables. Stalk the work! Get examples from a writer, but also get the briefs behind them to see if they understood the assignment.
- 40:15 Five Things to Improve Your Copywriting: 1) Don’t get stuck in formal writing. 2) Talk it out, write it all down, and read it back. 3) Try turning your “we’s” into “you’s.” 4) Kate loves the Hemingway app to take a pulse on your writing. 5) Push the fun boundaries and don’t let mistakes get you down.
Check out Digital Marketing Institute’s full 45-minute podcast for more writing tools and industry tips.
Q for You
Scraping data can take more time and effort than actually analyzing or using it…That’s not cool. So Browse AI came along to change that. This tool is a no-code-needed data collector that can scan a website for a big data sweep or be set up for daily data monitoring. They have 1-click automations at the ready for social profile updates, keyword crawls, status alerts, shopping traffic, and more! They are strong believers in data not being held by tech giants alone, so they offer free options as well as premium features. Start scraping data for yourself!
Who Writes What?
What? The Daily Carnage.
Who? It’s written by us, Carney.
Why?! We love marketing. A lot.
Carney is the digital agency behind this newsletter and it all came about because we wanted to be on top of marketing news, trends, techniques, and tools. And we thought, “why not share it with the world, too?”
Digital marketing is our jam. We live and breathe branding, websites, design, advertising, and everything in between.
What brand can we help breathe some life into next?
It’s Greek to Us
Spooky fall of Rome, but make it fashion.
Dior released this ad as a “contemporary odyssey” for a concept video to their 2022 Cruise collection. It’s actually a call back to another Acropolis shoot the fashion house did 70 years prior. It’s pretty entrancing with an intense soundtrack. We highly advise you to check it out to escape for 2 minutes!
Ads from the PastAds from the Past
1955, American Meat Institute
“Not that I would have listened, but I wish I’d known that it was okay to make mistakes earlier in my career. I went on to make some real doozies but I wish that rather than being embarrassed, which I was, I appreciated it was all part of learning and developing on the job.”
Irene Chang Britt