Guys, guys, guys, listen up. We’ve got an amazing Listen for you today. Full disclosure: it’s not actually a podcast. It’s a video interview (but you can just listen to it) with the CMO of Fuze, Brian Kardon.
It doesn’t matter if you haven’t heard of Fuze or Brian, here’s what you need to know about him:
- He was the CMO at Eloqua, Lattice Engines, and a few other amazing companies.
- He was named a Top 10 Global CMO for companies with over $250 Million in revenue.
- He was named a Top 50 Most Influential Person in Sales Lead Management.
Basically, the dude knows sales and marketing. And today, we’re featuring an interview with him and the VP of Marketing at Drift, Dave Gerhardt. These two guys geek out on all things marketing. This isn’t exactly an actionable podcast, but you’re definitely going to get some knowledge dropped on you.
You’ve gotta listen in. Here are some highlights to pique your interest…
- (03:49) Marketing automation is a commodity now. It’s old news. Everyone has it. So what’s next?
- (07:27) Too often, marketers focus on technology over things like marketing & sales alignment. More tools won’t help if your teams aren’t aligned.
- (10:52) It is absolutely essential to do marketing technology audits. Find out who is actually using what tool, and is each one worth the money?
- (13:44) Marketers have to do the research on how their audience buys. You can’t make assumptions or use instinct.
- (16:23) How do you break through the noise now? Be highly personal. Know your audience, know what they need, and be real.
- (19:48) The real competitive advantage in marketing is curiosity. Be willing to try new things, experiment, and fail.
- (22:07) Want an example of a big, “boring” company doing awesome marketing? Look at Aetna. They do an amazing job with storytelling in marketing.
If you have 30 minutes today, tonight, or tomorrow. Listen to this episode of Coffee with a CMO.