If your content isn’t moving you toward your goal, your content strategy isn’t working. But what can ya do? Well, Go Visually put together a list of counter-strategies to some of the most common mistakes marketers make. Let’s get into it by listing our top favorites from the list:
1) Not Documenting Your Strategy: Often times, teams are operating content creation without a true process. The fix: Physically map out a content strategy with assign tasks, goals, and approvals.
2) Working without audience analysis: If you’re don’t know who you’re trying to reach, or assuming (gasp) that you know your audience, your content probably won’t connect. The fix: Talk to your potential customers, ask questions about what they care about, and get inside their minds to understand your ideal audience.
3) Lacking Consistent Content: Be sure your content isn’t created and published inconsistently. One-off pieces are cool from time to time, but a cohesive content plan is better. The fix: Break your strategy down into “content campaigns” that also ensure you’re tailoring content for each audience.
4) No Goals? No Way: Posting to post doesn’t help anyone out. To be truly effective, every piece of content should be mapped to a goal. The fix: Simply ask yourself: “why?” and “what?”
5) Swerving Market Trends: Marketers can struggle to stay up to date not just with popular market trends, but the latest competitors’ movements as well. The fix: Sometimes a coincidental event can turn into an opportunity for you to expand your content. When you have your core strategy in place, being flexible to tackle new trends becomes a lot more manageable.
Check out the other 9 common mistakes and a whole bunch of content ideas on Go Visually’s blog!