Be in the Know
- Pop stars makin’ popcorn: The Jonas Brothers released Rob’s Backstage Popcorn artisanal popcorn brand
- Social Media is still reeling with conspiracies and memes about the Facebook outage, but here’s what SMM’s had to say about it
- Franzia is releasing a boxed wine Halloween costume that actually dispenses wine (!)
- PacSun is partnering with BitPay to accept cryptocurrency payments for their online store
Urgent Matters Facing Design (From 32 Experts)
What in the world is going on?! Fast Company interviewed over 30 professionals to give a pulse on what’s important to product design, UI, architecture, and making a difference through design.
There were some interesting answers and overlapping topics, so here are some of the standouts that made us think:
- Climate and Conversation: Sustainability is growing to be one of the fundamentals of all design. More brands are also being mindful of the growing climate situation, sparking green- and community-focused agendas. As Céline Semaan put it – “Waste is a design flaw.”
- Data, Data, Data: Everything is run by data. And while that might not always be the best thing for creativity, data fluency from designers is essential for creating the best possible designs. Data quality is at the core of everything. However, between privacy and inaccuracy, data barriers are becoming more prevalent.
- Throw-Away Culture: Designing “for the now” can be problematic. Convenience over longevity plus immediacy in all aspects of life (especially consumption) make for disposable design. It pulls from individuality and can stifle creativity.
- Digital Overload: Our society is always-on, always-connected. Designers must help to create great products and services while also supporting healthy digital lives. Designing with mental health in mind is a great step towards this.
- Equity and Inclusion: Design decisions can reveal disparities and sometimes you have the approach design from unique case instances first. As always, accessibility should be at the forefront of every design.
Check out Fast Company’s full list of incredible interviews about design challenges. We would like to add that the headshots are *chef’s kiss* lovely.
Q for You
We love us some mock-ups! A prototyping tool helps a designer to weave visuals, navigations, and interactions altogether. They’re an essential tool in any UI/UX designer’s belt. Proto.io is a web-based tool that comes with a bucketload of add-ons and features. Easy importing of Sketch and Photoshop files, VR prototyping, UI Libraries, and a whole lotta testing tools. They also have templates to get you started!
Carnies for Hire
The Daily Carnage is written by Carney, a full-service, dynamic creative agency.
Staying on top of trends, tools, and the shifting world of digital marketing is what we do! We do it to deliver the best experiences for our clients. Websites, design, email, marketing strategy, and SEO are just some of our favs.
Let us help your brand stay on top of things, too. Smash the button to talk about your next big move.
We love a clever brand
What does NJM stand for? New Jersey Manufacturers Casualty Insurance Company…but we like their ad’s acronym better. “No Jingle or Mascots” turns into quite the catchy slogan. NJM’s ad walks us through a “marketing pitch” all about gimmicks. But NJM doesn’t need all that. But what we need is that wacky, waving, inflatable cactus for our lobby.
Ads from the PastAds from the Past
1953, ZAL Disinfectant
“Building a brand means knowing your story and building and sharing that story.”