Be in the Know
- Peloton is again launching Peloton x Beyonce workout series with a three–day event of streamed content
- Snap created a creative studio for branded AR content called Arcadia
- Previously co-owned by Angelina Jolie, Brad Pitt’s Château Miraval releases a new rosé champagne
- Honda’s new campaign fits 73 years in 60 seconds of automotive history with the brand
Trendspotting: Why All the Market Leaders Are Doing It
“If you can’t beat ’em, join ’em.” It’s a sentiment that rings true for a lot of marketing initiatives and trends. Seeing trends before they are happening is a marketing superpower, so let’s get into how to be a trendspotter hero.
First thing’s first: Following trends and trendspotting are NOT the same. Trendspotters identify the upcoming trends and capitalize on them early (like the hipsters of strategy, they do it before it’s mainstream).
The 3 types of digital trends often found:
- Fleeting trends that burn bright and fade fast.
- Consolidative trends happen when smaller trends merge over time, creating a bigger, wide-reaching trend.
- Macro or society-shaping trends that can span multiple audiences, demographics, or cultures.
We are gonna note that trendspotting is a little different than traditional market research. Here’s a visual:
Where trendspotting fits into your digital strategy:
Now that you have the definitions down, how do you get it done? Keeping your eyes and ears open on top of your daily grind (we know, that’s easier said than done). Monitor market behavior
- Monitor market behavior – This is where data tracking is gonna be your bestie. The best snapshots are usually found in YOY trends, but spotting trends ahead of time means knowing that data well and seeing monthly changes, too.
- Analyze search trends within an industry – now it’s not very often you’ll discover a major trend across the whole wide world of marketing. Get granular and pay attention to industries and the sub-businesses within an industry. For this, that means throwing yourself deep into something. After all, where did TikTok come from? A niche app called Musical.ly.
Check out Similarweb’s full article for more trendspotting advice and resources.
Finding good content that makes sense can be like finding a needle in an ocean. Quuu does it up differently. This content curation software to suggest content that is reviewed by actual humans and not pre-set algorithms. Like, who does that?? Quuu finds videos, podcasts, blogs, presentations, and more from 500+ interest categories using a combination of hand-combed content or RSS feeds. They offer features so you can discover new content, save it for later, or use right away! They have several pricing tiers including a free one, so check it out!
Share the Love
The Daily Carnage is the newsletter for marketers, by marketers, sharing marketing stuff.
Do you have something worth sharing?
If you have a piece of content, software, tools, or tips that Carnage readers could benefit from, we want it.
We have several options for sharing sponsored content, so let’s talk!
Redbubble can get you anything slapped on anything. They mean it. ANYTHING you can think of. Art, whacky pop culture references, or custom pictures, they got you covered. And they love to celebrate the uniqueness of their requests. This ad turned those prints into a catchy tune! Check it out to inspire your next funky printed gift to a friend or for yourself.
Ads from the PastAds from the Past
“I don’t believe in tricky advertising, I don’t believe in cute advertising, I don’t believe in comic advertising. The people who perpetrate that kind of advertising never had to sell anything in their lives.”