Be in The Know
- FAQ rich results are disappearing from the Google SERP.
- BeReal is launching itself back onto the radars of marketers.
- Here are some of the high-profile campaigns for National Hispanic Heritage Month.
- The Three Olives Vodka’s Generager tool will craft your ideal party concept.
How Orphan Pages Affect SEO
Orphan pages, or pages that don’t have links to anywhere else within your website hierarchy, might be affecting your SEO. Here’s how:
- They’re not indexed. Orphan pages are inaccessible to search engine crawlers, preventing them from indexing and potentially excluding them from search results. Nevertheless, search engines can sometimes find orphan pages through XML sitemaps, but this doesn’t negate the need to address the issue.
- They don’t rank well. Not having internal links to a page can negatively impact its search engine rankings and organic traffic, even if it’s crawled and indexed. Google’s PageRank algorithm relies on inbound links to assess a page’s quality and authority, with each link acting as a vote. Internal linking helps distribute “link equity” throughout your website, but a page lacking these internal links may struggle to rank well and receive organic traffic.
- They’re just bad UX. Orphan pages, lacking inbound links from menus or other pages, remain hidden from visitors. Users can only access these pages by directly entering the URL, which is impossible if they are unaware of the page’s existence. If valuable information is on an orphan page, it’s essentially inaccessible to your audience, defeating its purpose.
Find out how to fix orphan pages over at Semrush.
Q for You
Lighthouse is Google’s free website analysis tool, which you can use to evaluate your site’s performance, SEO, accessibility, and adherence to best practices, yielding a score from 0 to 100 for each audit in under a minute. You can access Lighthouse it from straight from Chrome DevTools or via PageSpeed Insights.
Join The Spons Club
Sponsor an issue of The Daily Carnage.
It’s good business and good company.
Gather round for an eccentric musical number by Ore-Ida. A colorful cast of human, animal, and cartoon characters sing directly to your existential dread with a simple truth: in a world where everything feels uncertain, the sun still rises, the tides go out and in, and Ore-Ida fries always manage to be crispy on the outside and fluffy on the inside.
Ads from the PastAds from the Past