Q for You
Be In The Know
How to Create a Brand Style Guide That Will Evolve with Your Business
What would ya say you do here? No, we don’t mean to ask you that, but rather your brand.
Being able to define your brand and express it accordingly is crucial. For two reasons: to keep appearance consistent and to set yourself apart as a business. This is where a brand style guide comes into play.
Wix goes over how to create one that will evolve with your business as it grows and develops. Whether you’re kicking off a new brand, locking down the details, or rehauling your brand, these are the steps to keep in mind.
- Define your brand identity. Start by fleshing out the personality of your brand. Define goals, values, mission, and target market. Then define how those will be portrayed by the look, voice, and behavior of the brand.
- Research your competitors. When it comes to creating your brand style, it’s helpful for ensuring your aesthetic isn’t too similar to your competitors. You don’t want any confusion regarding who’s who.
- Include all the essential elements. Each brand has its own unique style guide, but making sure it is cohesive and easy-to-apply is important. Components to include are the introduction, typography, color palette, iconography & photography, grid system, and tone of voice.
- Make a list of collateral. Determine how your collateral goals will be addressed in your brand style guide. Whether your advertising materials will be printed, digital, or both, consider a section entirely for product branding and packaging.
- Plan for a brand evolution. Most things are subject to change and your brand style guide is no exception. Building a solid foundation is imperative that way ongoing development may be easily applied. When you have some new ideas, designate a place for them for reference when it’s time for a review.
Read on for a breakdown of the components mentioned in step 3 and check out brand examples for Spotify, Starbucks, and more.
Consistency goes a long way in helping shape how people interpret your brand. Frontify is the perfect tool for creating a set of standards you need for your brand. Over 30 smart blocks from numerous templates allow flexibility in laying out your brand guidelines without reinventing the wheel.
The best part is your guidelines will always be up to date. No revisiting old documents and updating PDF’s according to changes. Get the right teams involved by setting varying access rights to different stakeholders, and let them see all your on-brand collateral, guidelines, and asset libraries.
Exercising Leadership: Foundational Principles
Many variables in our lives generate challenges for our families, organizations, communities, and societies. It’s as important as ever for leaders to help pave the way forward.
This free course reviews leadership strategies in a changing world. Learn new ways to think about complex organizational systems in order to take thoughtful action. Additionally, this course prompts reflection on how you can move forward on the leadership challenges affecting you most.
We Fix Water
Water isn’t for everybody. Scratch that. It definitely is for everybody, and the importance of staying hydrated can’t be overstated. But there are a few ways to get your hydration-fix.
MiO brings us this ad of a man’s desperation to hydrate in the middle of the desert. When he finally finds some cold H2O, he’s more disappointed than you might imagine. Fortunately for him, MiO comes to the rescue and adds a bit of flavor. Whatever works!
Ads from the PastAds from the Past
1965, Trans World Airlines
Who’s up for a round of Bingo at Las Vegas?
“To succeed in anything, one always works a little harder than one feels possible. ”
Margaret Lee Runbeck