Q for You
Let’s dive deeper – What’s your biggest challenge with SEO?
*|SURVEY: How to use PPC to supplement SEO efforts|*
*|SURVEY: Manage client expectations with the long-game of SEO|*
*|SURVEY: How to focus on actions that increase sales and leads|*
*|SURVEY: Doing an SEO Audit|*
*|SURVEY: Optimize pages/other content on your website|*
*|SURVEY: Best ways to research for keywords|*
Be in the Know
- Facebook’s New Creator Studio App Helps With Managing Pages On the Go
- Amazon opens its first cashierless grocery store
- Instacart’s shoppers probably qualify as employees, judge rules
- New Juul patent application hints at AI-powered vape to help users quit nicotine
12 SEO Best Practices That Everyone Should Follow
Yesterday, we asked about the marketing topic you wanted to learn about most. The majority of you voted for Search Engine Optimization. And our hunt began.
Ahref’s rounded up 12 best practices to get you on the right track with SEO. Put on your learning caps, folks!
1. Use HTTPS to make pages on your site more secure by encrypting information sent between the visitor and server. Not sure if your site is already using HTTPS? Check the loading bar in your browser, if there’s a lock icon before the URL, you’re good.
2. Don’t let page speed be the reason people bounce from your site. Learn how your pages are performing by using Google’s Pagespeed Insights tool. Plug in your URL, get a score, and read up on improvement advice.
3. Keyword research is a critical component of SEO. Yes, search volume is a reasonable indicator of traffic potential, but it’s a tad misleading. Make sure to check estimated traffic to the pages that rank to get a better idea of true search traffic potential.
6. Place your target keyword in three places: Title Tag – demonstrate to searchers that your page offers what they want; Heading (H1) – every page should have a visible H1 heading on the page; and URL – mostly cause Google recommends it and it makes sense.
9. Help Google understand your images. You can compress images to ensure fast-loading pages, add alt tags, and use descriptive filenames.
10. Write thorough blogging content to rank for more queries. Cover relevant subtopics that people are also searching for by looking for relevant keywords on the top-ranking pages, take a peek at the “People Also Ask” results, or use Ahrefs’ Content Gap tool.
We jumped around a bit, so click through to get the remaining SEO practices!
Landing Page Demograpics
Who’s up for a Google Analytics trick? If you want to check out demographic stats on your site, GA makes it a piece of cake. But what about for a specific page? Well, here’s how to do it by creating a custom segment:
Click “add a segment” and then choose “new segment”
Under advanced, go to the conditions tab
Filter to “Sessions” and choose “Include”
In the drop-down for dimensions, search for “landing page” or “page”
- landing page – demos for traffic that starts on this page
- page – demos for traffic that view this page
Choose exactly matches
In the box, type the path of your page (ex. /thank-you)
All ya have to do now is head over to the demographic reports in Google Analytics.
Noah Kagan Presents
Noah Kagan Presents with Noah Kagan
Learn proven strategies to start and grow a business, improve productivity, and live a happier life. Hear from top performers in all industries.
Off the Ground
Running a business is tough. And it’s hard to stay in a groove because there are just so many phases of a business from starting up to scaling, and perhaps even selling or retiring.
Starling Bank is here to help your business fly throughout your endeavors. Even when those endeavors entail launching into the sky in your backyard shed.
Ads from the PastAds from the Past
1960, Schlitz Brewing Co.
“The measure of who we are is what we do with what we have.”