Be in the Know
Five Tips for Becoming a Successful Remote Worker
The workplace is changing. Many of us have the luxury of skipping the commute and working out of our kitchens or favorite coffee shops. A survey by Global Workplace Analytics and FlexJobs shows that remote work has grown 91% over the last 10 years.
As great as working remotely can be, it also comes with its challenges. Truth be told, it’s not for everyone. Some folks thrive and enjoy the structure of a 9-to-5 desk role.
Whether you work remotely or are considering it, here are a few tips to make the most out of it.
- Acknowledge that you’ll be working fixed hours: Don’t confuse working remotely with freelancing. If you’re on a remote team, you’ll more than likely be working similar hours. And by similar, we mean an “actual schedule.”
- Get familiar with apps and technology: There’s a good chance you’ll be using Zoom, Slack, Skpe, WhatsApp, etc. for daily communication. Get a jump start by familiarizing yourself with these and similar programs.
- Work on your communication skills: A survey of over 400 remote workers from TalentLMS found that communication is the most essential skill to master. It takes time to get a sense as to what method of communication works best. On the phone? Chat apps? It’s all about figuring out which channels your team engages with most. Regardless of the channel, make sure your messages are clear and concise.
- Learn how to focus: Working from home can be extremely distracting. Laundry, Amazon Prime packages, and your binge-worthy Netflix show are all within reach. It’s crucial to figure out what environment you’re most productive in.Here’s how remote workers from TalentLMS’s focused on the task at hand; 25% of respondents say they work by the sound of some background noise (from sources like a TV or radio), 21% concentrate in silence, and another 21% focus by listening to meditative music.
- Develop your time management and organizational skills: Self-discipline and remote work go hand-in-hand. Try creating a task list every night. It’ll help you get a jump start on your day. Also, take a look at How to Work From Home: 20 Tips From People Who Do It Successfully for more tips and tricks.
ANIMATE IT is an online tool to create high-quality animations for free, entirely in the browser.
Make your ideas come to life, export it to GIF or MP4 and use it on your social media channels, websites, ads, etc
“…And a rotisserie chicken because you just can’t bring yourself to cook tonight.”
The 2020 Ford Explorer invites you to explore without going to another planet.