Outrank the Big Guys
Many of us are small players in a big-brand world. Those big brands not only dominate their industries, but they usually control the search rankings, too. Sucks, right?
Just because your company is a small business, though, doesn’t mean you can’t win search traffic away from the big guys.
We outlined the steps you can take to outrank the big brands below, and – since we like you guys so much – we included time-stamps from today’s podcast for each section.
- Republish old content as new content. The big guys are probably publishing more content than you. You can publish “new” content without writing a whole new blog post. Simply update an old blog post. Google really seems to love when people do this. (4:30)
- Leverage your partners and other websites to cross-promote and cross-link. (7:10)
- Add more content. Add 200-300 words to your top performing landing pages to boost SEO value. (8:28)
- Beat them at a local level. You can beat the bigger guys by focusing on local optimization. The big brands can’t do this because they’re too big. (9:08)
- Create one amazing piece of content. One big piece that’s better than anything else out there will increase your domain authority and SEO value better than a ton of small, average blog posts. (11:10)
Put a (Promoted) Pin in It
Name the addicting social media giant giving us the inspiration to build the craftiest DIYs (that we’ll never make), become the next Top Chef, or transform into life hacking professionals. It’s Pinterest, of course, and it is one bumpin’ place. In fact, 31% of Internet users use Pinterest. (That’s a whole lotta Pinterest fails.)
Pinterest is dabbling into another culture now; B2C advertising through social media. Moving along the development stage, Pinterest introduced promoted pins last year and has worked to refine it.
Today’s Read evaluates the need to know with promoted pins. Expect some (p)interesting content with the following topics:
- Plan your Pinterest marketing strategy
- Identify the potential pinners
- Select rich pins
- Choose attractive pins to sell products
- Tracking, analyzing and timing
- Monitor cross-device movement
Curiosity Thrilled the Cat
Do you like kittens? Do you like…gravity? Of course you do!
Today’s Watch is easily one of the most innovative and unique commercials we’ve seen this year. It’s from Playstation Japan, and literally flips the script on your average advertisement. Like a mini movie, two sisters have their world turned upside down. We don’t want to spoil it for you, but stay tuned at the end for how they achieved these special effects. Okay, fine. Spoiler alert: They built a set that actually flipped! It’s amazing, and it’s likely to win big at this year’s Cannes Lions Festival.
“Don’t settle: Don’t finish crappy books. If you don’t like the menu, leave the restaurant. If you’re not on the right path, get off it.”